Richard & Linda Mose Meadows

Richard & Linda Mose Meadows
Pastor, Pastoral Counselor and Chaplain

"Why Worry?"


Matthew 6:24-34


Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you-- you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, `What will we eat?' or `What will we drink?' or `What will we wear?' For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

"So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today."


You know around church we say some stuff, that just doesn't make sense out there in the world. We speak our own language called christian-ese. But there is a universal saying that many people relate to no matter what there beliefs are, and it is, if you pray, do not worry, and if worry ain't no need to pray.

We all smile when people repeat this common phrase. But is it not, human nature to worry? So the question today is why do we worry. You have to answer this question for yourself.

Why, do i worry. Why am i so anxious even when Jesus said, do not be anxious or worry about your life. Personally, I can answer for me. I worry because it feels good. Let me explain.

There is something my human psyche, now I'm only talking about me, and it is a deep seeded feeling that let's me know that if I worry about it then it is important to me. There is something about the issue or the problem that I carry as a price of luggage, it causes me anxiety, it even causes me to lay awake at night pondering what may happen, what the end result is going to be.

I allow my imagination to weigh the worst case scenario and the best possible outcome. It is just something I have to do. Sure the scripture says be anxious about your life, don't worry, but I just can't help myself. That is my own idiosyncrasy I even tell God, move over we can worry together. Just trying to keep it real.

The body and the mind go into protective mode when worries arise, it is called fight and flight. You either stand and fight or you flee, go into a state of denial or worse resignation.

Your blood pressure rises, your respiratory rate increases, your vascular system tightens and your heart rate jumps to about 100 or more beats per minute, but worry or anxiety eventually causes all of the body functions to come back to normal, but the mind has taken over and the issue or the problem is all you think about. We go t sleep with our worries, we awake in the morning with our worries, and Jesus let's us know it is possible during the current day to worry in advance about tomorrow.

In the text today Jesus is talking to his disciples, those who dared to listen to the words of a teacher to his students, in the midst of warning about serving two masters and judging others.

he reminds them that life is

like a mountain railway, with an engineer that is brave,

we must make the run successful from the cradle to the grave,

watch the curves the fills the tunnels, never vaulter,

never fail, keep your hand upon the throttle,

and your eye upon the rail.

Blessed savior thou will guide us till we reach that blissful shore,

where the angels wait to join us in thy praise forever more.

Sounds a little final, but its not. It's simply saying Jesus, got this. Bad grammar, but good gospel. My father in heaven, provides. There is not a human need I.e. Clothing that the father will not provide.

However this runs deeper the clothes on the back and clothes are just an example of the simplicity of our deepest woes, to one Elohim (creator).

Our greatest challenges, needs and desires, Jesus says, as a matter of fact look around at nature to realize that you have life through God as one of the God's creations and when it comes to your life, you do not need to worry.

Jehovah jirah, my provider. Most loving Father, whose will it is for us to give thanks for all things, to fear nothing but the loss of you, and to cast all our care on you who care for us: Preserve us from faithless fears and worldly anxieties, that no clouds of this mortal life may hide from us the light of that love, lord you are my provider.

Vs. 31 says ain't nothing you can do about it anyway. Do you see what I see in the text, you can not add an hour to your life, you can not control tomorrow, you have enough trouble for this day, that your materials needs are provided by the creator, you are valuable in god's eyes, so why are you worrying?

That is what I see. That in the midst of all my troubles and worries and anxieties, and issues and baggage, that god is in control. Sure I will do what I can to take care of what I can take care of, but the other stuff of life that weighs so heavy on my soul, I give it over to God.

God does this to free you to be a true disciple of christ. Here's one way. Grove coc is with us today. Rebecca knowls, the total cost of the new Center, including the purchase of the land is $1,053,000. To date we have raised over $613,000 towards our goal.

From its inception Grove Christian Outreach Center has existed on the generosity and passion of our donors and volunteers. We now focus our attention on building a neighborhood facility that will allow us to serve Grove families more effectively and efficiently.

But the bottom line is this. The Center is unique because they have chosen to focus on just one community where the need is great. This is where they have chosen to take their stand and They have been amazed at how many others have chosen to stand with them.

They are humbled and dont seem to be worried because the Williamsburg Churches, community groups, businesses and whole families rally around their cause and give so generously of their time, money, food, clothing etc. They just wouldn’t exist were it not for the giving community we are so blessed to live in.

It is their hope that you will join them in making a lasting positive difference in Grove and to further strengthen the families and households in this very special place at the heart of our community.

My final point and the one I love dearly is that to the disciple the words of jesus may take on another meaning. Here it is. If I do not have to worry about the basics or life and I do not have to worry about, the soul issues which I can not control anyway, that I am free to seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto me. The things of life that I so easily worry about, if given over to God, I am free to serve God.

What things? I don't know you fill in the blank, lord if I give this ________ over to you, and seek you as you desire, what will be the outcome? Don't know, that is the challenge to us, can we stop worrying about what we will, eat, what we will drink, what we will wear?

Can we stop worrying about tomorrow? Can we as the old folks would say con-ver-sate with God about our worries. I know it is not easy, our human nature kicks in.


You will often find obstructions,

Look for storms and wind and rain;

On a fill, or curve, or trestle

They will almost ditch your train;

Put your trust alone in Jesus,

Never falter, never fail;

Keep your hands upon the throttle,

And your eyes upon the rail. Amen.



Courtney Dion Meadows Born 5/9/1983 - Heaven Date 5/2/2005 "My Friend Lives" I desired Peace in the Process and I arrived at Justice. I pray for his shooter...May God give him peace.

Contact Me:

  • RDMeadowsJr@Hotmail.com